Thursday, April 16, 2009

A meme

Hell of a meme, my choices:

1986 Inductees

Buddy Holly–”Peggy Sue”

Chuck Berry–”Johnny B. Goode”

Elvis Presley–”Jailhouse Rock”

James Brown– Okay, the man is a pig, but the horns and his voice on the laughable title "Sex Machine" are funk at its best.

Jerry Lee Lewis–my first 45-"Great Balls of Fire"

Little Richard–”Tutti Frutti”

Ray Charles–Too many to mention

The Everly Brothers–”Wake Up Little Susie”, my 2nd 45.

1987 Inductees

Aretha Franklin–”Respect”

B. B. King–"My Little Angel", you should see her spread her wings.

Roy Orbison–”Pretty Woman”

Smokey Robinson–too many hits and my third album

1988 Inductees

Bob Dylan–"Tangled up in Blue"

The Beach Boys–Kill me now!

The Beatles–Oh my, where to start. How about the album side with "The Sun King" off of "Abbey Road"

The Supremes–”Stop! In the Name of Love”

1989 Inductees

Otis Redding–”(Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay”

Stevie Wonder–"Just Enough for the City"

The Rolling Stones–At one time the greatest Rock and Roll band ever. Now the greatest Geritol commercial. Sorry Mick, flailing old man arms with loose skin doesn't cut it. But "Live With Me" or "Bitch" or "Brown Sugar" or "Can't you Hear Me Knockin'".

1990 Inductees

Simon and Garfunkel–Eh, a good group to make chicks think you are cool

The Kinks–”Lola” or "Top of the Pops" or "(Lazing) on a Sunny Afternoon" or "Well-Respected Man About Town"

The Who–"I'm Mobile" or "Live at Leeds!" one of the best live albums ever!

1991 Inductees

Ike and Tina Turner–"Proud Mary"

The Byrds–so many songs so little time, "Wasn't Born to Follow", "Have you Seen Her Face" and "Sweetheart of the Rodeo"

1992 Inductees

Johnny Cash–I don't know his stuff that much

The Jimi Hendrix Experience–"Electric Ladyland"

The Yardbirds–“For Your Love” or "Shapes of Things". How many bands have had Clapton, Beck and Page?

1993 Inductees

Cream–"Crossroads"

Creedence Clearwater Revival–”Bad Moon Rising”

The Doors–a Berthold Brecht song, "The Alabama Song"

Van Morrison–"Cleaning Windows"!!!!! and many more

1994 Inductees

Bob Marley–"Lively Up Yourself"

Elton John–"Bennie and the Jets"

John Lennon–”Imagine”

Rod Stewart–"Cut Across Shorty"

The Animals–"House of the Rising Sun"

The Band–"Stage Fright"

The Grateful Dead–"Shakedown Street", "Scarlet Begonia", "Franklin's Tower", so many toones. Never has a band been more inspirational or self-indulgent. Depends on the day.

1995 Inductees

Frank Zappa–"Flower Punk", Mudshark", B'Wana Dick"

Janis Joplin–"MOve Over"

Led Zepplin–Golly, where to start. Without them there would be no metal.

Martha and the Vandellas–”Dancing in the Street.”

Neil Young–"The Loner", "Mr. Soul"

The Allman Brothers Band–"There's a Man Out There" best slide guitar around.

1996 Inductees

David Bowie–"Young Americans"

Gladys Knight and the Pips–I am sorry, I like them, but I cannot hear them anymore without thinking of the Gary Trudeau parody "The Midnight Train to Cranston"

Jefferson Airplane–"3/5 of a mile in ? seconds", the live version

Pink Floyd–"Several Small Furry Animals Grooving in a Cave with Some Picts" or "San Tropez"

The Velvet Underground–"Heroin" or "I'm Waiting for the Man"

1997 Inductees

Crosby Stills and Nash–"Suite for Judy Blue Eyes"

Joni Mitchell–"Free Man in Paris"

Parliament-Funkadelic– “Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)” or "Spotlight"

The Bee Gees–"Satuday Night Fever"

The Jackson Five–“ABC.”

1998 Inductees

Fleetwood Mac–"Oh Well"

Santana–The whole "Abraxas" album. one of the best albums ever!

The Eagles–who cares

The Mamas and The Papas–"Words of Love"

1999 Inductees

Billy Joel–"Village Green"

Bruce Springsteen–”Born to Run”

Dusty Springfield–”Son of a Preacher Man”

Paul McCartney–I have no idea what his solo career wrought

2000 Inductees

Bonnie Raitt–best slide guitarist in the league of Ry Cooder, Lowell George, Duane Allman. Anewer toone is "Gnawing on It"

Earth, Wind, and Fire–”Shining Star”

Eric Clapton–"Layla"

James Taylor–a duet with Dire Straits guitarist, "Sailing to Philadelphia"

2001 Inductees

Aerosmith–”Walk This Way”

Michael Jackson–Wow, many, many songs. His live "Billie Jean" was incredible.

Paul Simon–”Kodachrome”

Queen–”Crazy Little Thing Called Love”

Ritchie Valens–”La Bamba”

Steely Dan–too many to mention, but "My Rival", "Hey Nineteen", "FM" or "Cousin Dupree"

2002 Inductees

Ramones–“I Wanna Be Sedated”

Isaac Hayes–"Shaft"

Talking Heads–Go see the movie "Stop Making Sense" or rent the DVD and dance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers–"American Girl"

2003 Inductees

AC/DC–who knows

Elvis Costello and the Attractions–"Watching the Detectives"

Righteous Brothers–”You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling”

The Clash–"Lost in the Supermarket"

The Police–”Murder by Numbers”

2004 Inductees

Bob Seger–”on Mainstreet”

George Harrison–I don't know on his solo stuff

Jackson Browne–"Play, Just a Little Longer"

Prince–”1999”

ZZ Top–”Sharp Dressed Man”

Traffic–"Light or Leave Me Alone", "Feelin' Alright"

2005 Inductees

The Pretenders–"I went to Ohio and my town was gone"

U2–You know, I know no names of their toones. How bad is that, even though I can sing them when they are on the radio. and good, my my!

2006 Inductees

Black Sabbath–why, God, why

Blondie–“Rapture.”

Lynyrd Skynyrd–"Give me Three Steps"

Sex Pistols–cultural phenomenon

2007 Inductees

Patti Smith–Again the name escapes me, but the benediction "She is blessed among women" makes me break out in goosebumps no matter how many times I hear it.

R.E.M–“Losing My Religion”

Van Halen–”Beautiful Girls”

2008 Inductees

John Mellencamp–I don't know, "Fire and ??"

Madonna–"Ho;iday"

2009 Inductees

Jeff Beck–Oh My Gawd! Where to start. A veritable guitar god. His group with Nicky Hopkins, Ron Wood and Rod Stewart were amazing. But "Train, Train" is probably my favorite.

Metallica–never heard them, honest.

and isn't Little Feat there somewhere. "Waiting for Columbus" is one of the best live albums ever!!!!!

rojo

No comments: